Not sure where to start in dating world

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2019 at 5:23 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    Adult Friend Finder Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

APerson
    APerson
    Participant
    November 30, 2019 at 10:19 pm #225845

I’ve never tried to pursue dating before. I’m an older guy, early forties. Over the years, some women have asked me out from work, but that can’t happen anymore because I’ve recently promoted to a supervisor position. I’ve been intrigued about the dating world, but it’s always been a bit of a mystery how it works. I rarely meet single women. I always assumed this is because it’s rare for women to initiate contact. If I ever do meet a single woman and she is friendly, I just take it as friendliness; so, it never goes to the next level unless she takes it there. I’ve downloaded some dating apps, and that is very bizarre to me. I’m expected to be interested in someone just based on a picture? I’m more attracted to people because of the connection we have, not their looks. So, I’m hoping someone could give me some pointers or advice on how to get started.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    December 2, 2019 at 2:50 pm #225961

“I’m expected to be interested in someone just based on a picture?”
    No, the photo is just the beginning!

If you were shopping for a car you’d most likely would want to buy one you liked looking at.
    You’d also go to a few dealerships, test drive the cars, and study the features/options and so forth.

Dating is not “rocket science”.
    Two people with a mutual interest in each other decide to spend time getting to know each other better.

“I’ve never tried to pursue dating before. I’m an older guy, early forties.”
    “Over the years, some women have asked me out from work…”
    Clearly there is REASON why you’ve never tried to {pursue dating} for the 40+ years you’ve been on this planet.

What has changed? Are you open to the possibility of dealing with rejection? Incompatibility? Betrayal? or Dumped?
    When it comes to love and relationships most of us (fail our way) to success.
    I tell you this not to discourage you but rather to prepare you for the “learning tax” we all pay.