Am I settling?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Am I settling?

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    September 9, 2019 at 5:19 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    Adult Friend Finder Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Joella
    Joella
    Participant
    August 19, 2019 at 12:23 pm #205639
    Am I settling?

I am 42, I was married for almost 20 years. The last few years have been concentrated on raising my 2 children although I dated here and there. I have been with the same guy now for over 2 years, he treats me like a queen-he respects me, supports my every decision, communicates well, and would do anything for me. However, there are little things he does that make me realize he is so much more simpler minded (a bit childish) than me, and it’s a little embarrassing-I am sure my friends wonder why I’m with this guy. At the risk of sounding like I put myself up on a pedestal (because I most certainly do not) I’m smarter than him (a member of his family even said that). I just wonder if I’m settling thinking that no one will come along to treat me as good, so I’m going to put up with these feelings, should I overlook them or should I cut ties with this guy hoping something better comes along?

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    August 23, 2019 at 6:42 pm #206093

well you have to ask yourself what’s your priorities in a mate…
    – somebody who’s smarter than you?
    – or somebody that treats you like a queen and supports you and would do anythign for you?

Good luck.

lostinlove19
    lostinlove19
    Participant
    August 27, 2019 at 10:27 am #206168

If you feel like you are settling, you should probably let go of this man. Not because he isn’t good enough for you , but because at a point you will feel like you are just using him. Using him to fill loneliness. If you really would like it to work out, try having real conversations with him and ask his opinion. You may be surprised that he knows more than you thought. Something else always comes along, be it smarter or more attractive in another way. The question is do you really want to work with what you have?

bvb
    bvb
    Participant
    September 4, 2019 at 8:19 am #206472

Are you worried about how you feel or what your friends think?

I have a much higher IQ than anyone I’ve been in a serious relationship with – no way not to make that sound arrogant, but it is true. It doesn’t matter much, I am looking for a life partner, not a research partner. I would much rather be with someone childish who enjoys snowball fights and playing in the mud than someone who can discuss grad school math problems.

Is he good looking or wealthy? If you are worried about what people think, those go a lot farther than intelligence.

Joella
    Joella
    Participant
    September 6, 2019 at 12:13 pm #206622

Thank you for your help. Not gonna lie, made me feel a little silly when I read the comments, that I’m worrying about things that seem trivial to most people, but I really appreciate all the insight!